|Record #: CWL0021||Last Modified: 16 Mar 2015||Last Full Update: 16 Mar 2015|
|Social Media||Website: www.elderhelppeel.org/|
|Description & Services|
|Description||This is a charitable organization offering information, education and supportive services through group work and community development to diverse elderly persons (55+), who live in the Region of Peel and who desire to become and/or to maintain their self-sufficiency and independence.
• Education- Workshops and Information Sessions on a variety of topics relevant to seniors
- Leadership Training and Skills Development Program
- Elder Abuse Educational/Awareness Program
• Consultation- Supportive Counselling, Information, Referral and Advocacy Services
• Active Living Program-This program provides seniors with the opportunities to improve quality of their lives through awareness and active living educational workshops and also by participating in fun and fitness activities.
• Building Bridges Together-Annual Intergenerational Conference since 1999 promoting open communication, collaboration and understanding between diverse seniors and youth of our community. Annually, 150 seniors and 150 youth participate in this one day conference.
• Security Check/Reassurance Service- A support service that provides isolated persons with regular contact to determine that the client is not in crisis or at risk of harm. A general security activity includes a regular telephone call.
• Friendly Visiting Program- A support service that provides a volunteer on a one to one basis to visit an isolated senior or a physically challenged adult on a weekly basis for 1 - 2 hours a week. The visits are made to the client's home and help reduce isolation. Volunteers represent diverse language and cultural groups of Peel and are able to provide Friendly Visiting service to a broad segment of the senior population.
• Free Income Tax Clinic for Seniors- Trained volunteers can help to complete your income tax and benefit returns as part of the community volunteer income tax program
• Volunteer Development Program- This program is designed to provide community members, particularly seniors, the opportunities to develop knowledge and skills of the helping profession and to be actively involved in Elder Help - Peel's service delivery in order to meet the need of the elderly in our community.
|Eligibility||Ages: 55 year(s) and up
Diverse ethnocultural seniors and older adults
|Fees||Membership - $15/yr ; Service - None|
|Languages||English ; French ; Amharic ; Filipino ; German ; Greek ; Hindi ; Italian ; Punjabi ; Spanish ; Tigrinya ; Friendly Visiting Program - can try to access volunteers that speak languages indicated|
|Meetings||Group meetings: Wed 1 pm-4 pm, Central Public School, 24 Alexander Street, Brampton|
|Address & Map||
37 Geaorge Street N, Ste 102
Brampton, ON L6X 1R5
View Google Map
|Intersection||Main St S and Queen St E|
|Transit Information||Brampton Transit 905-874-2999 * www.brampton.ca/transit/home.tml|
|Funding||Provincial - Ontario. Ministry of Health and Long Term Care ; Federal - Status of Women Canada; HRDC ; Donations ; Fees - Membership ; Foundation - Trillium Foundation|
|Service Level||(50) Non Profit|
|Subjects||Advocacy ; Counselling ; Education ; Elder abuse ; Friendly visiting ; Health education ; Immigrants ; Information and referral ; Intergenerational programs ; Leadership training ; Physical fitness ; Recreational activities ; Security checks ; Seniors ; Volunteer opportunities ; Workshops|