Step Up Youth Volunteer Ambassador
|Duties of Role||Are you passionate about volunteering? Do you thrive on helping others in your community? Do you want to have a voice to help promote the importance and benefits of volunteering? Would you like to see a change in the community? |
Volunteer MBC, the local volunteer centre serving the Region of Peel (Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon), is looking for high school students who can become an integral part of our team as you will lend your voice to assist us with our mission delivery.
The Step Up Youth Volunteer Ambassador program was developed by Volunteer MBC to boost youth engagement and volunteerism in the Peel region. But only youth can help us change the world by inspiring their peers, putting together amazing events and initiatives, and becoming leaders in their communities. We want YOU to become one of these world-changing leaders!
Duties of the Step Up Youth Volunteer Ambassadors are to;
The primary responsibilities:
- To Promote volunteerism and youth volunteer engagement at schools and in the community using promotional materials, information and sign-up booths, and other outreach strategies.
- To locally support the executive team and the functional committees of SUYVA to the success of the provincial ChangeTheWorld campaign aimed at laying a platform for youth to volunteer in their communities.
Other key responsibilities:
- Coach your peers on how to use services offered by Volunteer MBC
- Enhance school and community-wide participation by hosting meetings for interested members to discuss areas of interest, opportunities, and event ideas.
- Plan and execute volunteering events and initiatives throughout the year.
- Assist in the creation of collaborative events.
- Create a report of activities during the term of the position tracking the details of meetings and discussion notes, key ideas and opportunities, and details of event planning and outcomes
- Attend at least 10 general meetings held by Volunteer MBC
The SUYVA family is formed up comprising the following tiers.
- Tier 1: Executive Committee
- Tier 2: Committee Champions
- Tier 3: General Ambassadors
SUYVA functions with the supported by 5 Committees, and a Chair Person. The 5 committees are;
- Learning and Development
- Marketing and Communications
- Volunteer Engagement
- Event Management
- Membership Development
|Benefit(s) to the Volunteer||Benefits to you: |
- Certificates and awards of recognition.
- All Step Up Ambassadors will annually receive a certificate confirming the earned community service hours.
- Volunteer MBC will recognize individuals and schools that have demonstrated excellence during the annual ChangeTheWorld campaign designed to enhance youth engagement.
- Ambassadors that have demonstrated a significant contribution to their communities will be eligible to be nominated for major municipal and provincial community youth awards on behalf of Volunteer MBC (provided that candidates meet the criteria set by the awarding organizations).
- Receive training from experts and leaders in youth engagement in subjects such as project management, event planning and leadership. This is the chance to develop important skills that will give you the foundation to do great things.
- Receive reference letters (upon request).
- Expand your network of friends and associates.
- An excellent opportunity to explore your prospective career path.
- Become a leader to help change your community and the world.
Impact to the community:
- Your school community will have a steady stream of "meaningful" volunteering opportunities.
- Help others earn their volunteer hours and contribute to the community.
- Help create the perception that volunteering is about joining hands and having fun while making your community a better place, and not only about the 40 hours.
|Hours Awarded to Students||Yes|
|Ages||13 year(s) - 17 year(s)|
|Police Check||Not Required|
|Skills/Experience||- The commitment to conduct a minimum of 5 information session on behalf of Volunteer MBC in your respective school. |
- A strong passion for volunteering.
- Good organizational skills.
- Knowledge of local community will definitely be an asset to you in this role.
- Availability for the team meetings and running of events.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Public relations and/or customer relations experience an asset but not mandatory
|Length of Commitment||Long Term (more than 6 months) - This opportunity will last the entire academic year|
|Minimum Hours||30 / Year|
|Location||Meetings: At our centre locations in Mississauga, Brampton or Caledon. See "Contact Us" page|
|Link to Map||www.volunteermbc.org/contact.aspx|
|Accessibility (AODA)||Fully Accessible|
|Transportation||Must Provide Own Transportation|
|Main Contact||Ebony Wright, Co-ordinator, Volunteer & Community Engagement, Volunteer MBC; Phone: 905-238-2622 ext 227; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Social Media Links|| Facebook: www.facebook.com/stepupvmbc|
|Potential Schedule||Monday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening |
Tuesday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Wednesday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Thursday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Friday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Saturday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Sunday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Presentations at your schools will be run during school hours. Evening meetings will also be conducted at an established frequency. The SUYVA team are also encouraged to take part in various local events and conferences.
|Number of Volunteers Req'd||Brampton: 10 individual(s) ; Caledon (Town of): 10 individual(s) ; Mississauga: 10 individual(s) |
30 individual(s) needed in total.
|Training||Orientation ; Scheduled training|
|Interaction Level||Small Group ; Medium Group ; Large Group|
|Areas of Interest||Youth Volunteer|
|Suitable For||Youth (13 to 15) ; Youth (16 to 18)|
|[ More Agency Info | Other Opportunities | Suggest New Opportunity ]|
|Organization Name||Volunteer MBC, Youth Volunteer Program|
|Address & Map|
Community Door Brampton
7700 Hurontario Street, Unit 601
Brampton, ON L6Y 4M3
View Google Map