|Duties of Role||- Visit a client in his/her home or other suitable environment at a mutually convenient time. |
- Activities are determined by client need and mutually agreed upon with volunteer.
- Approved activities are: reading / organizing, walking, assisting with errands and friendly visiting.
- Volunteers do not: clean, cook, provide personal care, do home repairs, give advice, provide counseling, do heavy lifting.
- All outings are on foot, by public transportation, taxi or Handibus; Vision Mate volunteers do not drive clients.
- Schedule visits on a consistent basis.
|Benefit(s) to the Volunteer||- Make a difference for someone who is blind or partially sighted. |
- An opportunity to help further the mission of the CNIB.
- Experience in a health care field.
- Coverage under CNIB’s general liability insurance.
- Reference letter when requested, after three successful months’ participation in the program.
|Hours Awarded to Students||No|
|Ages||19 year(s) and up|
|Skills/Experience||- Ability to work with minimum supervision. |
- Good communication skills.
- Trustworthy, dependable, compassionate, flexible.
- A desire to assist a blind or partially sighted person.
- Experience with seniors an asset.
- Minimum 19 years old.
|Length of Commitment||Long Term (more than 6 months) - 6 to 12 month minimum commitment is preferred.|
|Minimum Hours||2 / Week|
|Location||Community locations throughout Halton/Peel.|
|Link to Map||www.cnib.ca/en/about/Pages/Find-An-Office.aspx|
|Accessibility (AODA)||Fully Accessible ; Partially Accessible ; Unknown ; Varies depending on location; when needed care can be taken to ensure community location is accessible. CNIB Office is fully accessible.|
|Transportation||Must Provide Own Transportation ; Volunteers are responsible for own transportation; when needed care can be taken to ensure community location is on transit route. CNIB Office is on a transit route.|
|Main Contact||Susan Cheeseman, Coordinator, Outreach & Volunteer Services, CNIB; Phone: 905-275-5332 ext 5379 * 888-275-5332; Fax: 905-275-7710; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Social Media Links|| Facebook: www.facebook.com/myCNIB|
|Potential Schedule||Monday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening |
Tuesday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Wednesday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Thursday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Friday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Saturday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Sunday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Flexible committment based of volunteer and client availability - one visit of 2 hours per week.
|Number of Volunteers Req'd||Brampton: 5 individual(s) ; Caledon (Town of): 5 individual(s) ; Mississauga: 5 individual(s)|
|Training||Orientation - CNIB Orientation ; Scheduled training - Vision Mate Training|
|Clients||CNIB is a nationwide, community-based, registered charity committed to public education, research and the vision health of all Canadians. CNIB provides the services and support necessary to enjoy a good quality of life while living with vision loss.|
|Interaction Level||One-on-one - Client interaction.|
|Areas of Interest||Companion/Friend ; Errand Running/Shopping ; Rehabilitation|
|Suitable For||Young Adult (19 to 24) ; Adult (24+)|
|[ More Agency Info | Other Opportunities | Suggest New Opportunity ]|
|Organization Name||CNIB, Halton/Peel Office|
|Address & Map|
50 Burnhamthorpe Road W, Ste 421
Mississauga, ON L5B 3C2
View Google Map
|Mailing Address||c/o Community Door |
50 Burnhamthorpe Road W, Ste 300
Mississauga, ON L5B 3C2
|Toll Free Phone||1-888-275-5332|