Eh Café Facilitator
|Duties of Role||Duties for this volunteer role are as follows: |
- Create lesson plans based on student interest and needs.
- Share knowledge and expertise about Canada and Canadian Culture in an informal group setting.
- Share previous experiences, and to listen and support newcomers in relation to cultural barriers that they might be facing in their new country.
- Share knowledge about Canadian culture and learn through group members’ culture and experience.
- Share the obstacles the newcomers face when arriving and settling in a new country and help them identify possible solutions.
- Act as a role model for the group members, demonstrating values of punctuality, dependability and reliability.
- Provide suggestions and resources that will assist newcomers to become fully involved in Caledon and Canadian life.
- Practice conversational English skills in a relaxed atmosphere.
|Benefit(s) to the Volunteer||- Wealth of knowledge to be learned about Canadian Immigration Experiences. |
- A chance to learn about other cultures.
- Invitation to the Annual Volunteer Recognition Event and AGM.
- Reference letter after 20 hours of Service.
- Stores Discount Card.
|Hours Awarded to Students||No|
|Ages||24 year(s) and up|
|Skills/Experience||- Knowledge of CCS and the all programs offered. |
- A desire to empower newcomer’s to Canada in helping them integrate and thrive in Canadian society.
- Awareness of cultural diversity and sensitivity.
- Knowledge and experience in the teaching environment.
- Excellent communication skills including verbal and written.
- Second language would be a significant asset.
- Friendly personality.
|Length of Commitment||Long Term (more than 6 months) - More than 6 months|
|Minimum Hours||2 / Month|
|Link to Map||goo.gl/maps/EH8BF|
|Accessibility (AODA)||Fully Accessible|
|Main Contact||Michelle Stubbs, Manager, Volunteer & Community Relations, Caledon Community Services; Phone: 905-951-2300 ext 211; Fax: 905-951-2303; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Social Media Links|| Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Caledon-Community-Services/174021567360|
|Dates and Times||Wednesday: Evening (5:45PM to 7:45PM)|
|Number of Volunteers Req'd||Caledon (Town of): 5 individual(s)|
|Training||Orientation - Attend general information session. ; Scheduled training - Program and department specific training and orientation will be provided.|
|Interaction Level||Medium Group|
|Areas of Interest||Classroom Aide ; Counselling/Information Support ; Education (General Help) ; English Language Instruction ; Immigrants/Newcomers (Work with) ; Mentor ; Newcomer Assistance ; Teaching/Instruction|
|Suitable For||Adult (24+) ; Family Group|
|[ More Agency Info | Other Opportunities | Suggest New Opportunity ]|
|Organization Name||Caledon Community Services, Volunteer Resources|
|Address & Map|
Royal Courtyards, Upper Level
18 King St E
Bolton, ON L7E 1E8
View Google Map
|Office Phone||*905-951-2300 |