Spiritual Care Volunteer
|Duties of Role||Functioning: |
- Providing spiritual support to client and/or family;
- Provide weekly visit with client and/or family;
When assigned to a client/family duties may include:
- Playing music, reading spiritual or holy books, praying, taking walks, specific rituals, chatting, meditation, reflections, funeral conversations, etc, as per the direction of the client;
- Provide a non-discriminating, non-judgmental atmosphere for the client/family to discuss their reactions and values related to spirituality, religion, death, dying, funerals, cultural practices, and belief systems while not imposing one’s own faith/beliefs/opinions on others.
Note: At least one year of experience as a Hospice In-Home Volunteer is a pre-requisite for this volunteer position.
|Hours Awarded to Students||No|
|Ages||18 year(s) and up|
- A commitment to the Hospice Spiritual Care and the concepts of Hospice Care;
- Have 1 year Hospice Palliative Care experience either as a volunteer or staff;
- Have successfully completed the Hospice Palliative Care 30 hour Course;
- Have successfully fulfilled Hospice screening and training requirements;
- Have good communication, verbal, written and listening skills;
- Have good organizational skills including punctuality;
- Have strong professional boundaries and the ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Have a compassionate and empathetic attitude.
|Qualifications/Certification||- Have at least one year of experience as a Hospice Client volunteer; |
- Have served at least 2 to 3 in-home hospice clients as a Hospice Client Volunteer'
- Have a letter of recommendation from the Coordinator of Volunteers or Coordinator of Recruitment and Training based on performance as a Client Volunteer;
- Complete an interview with the Coordinator of Bereavement and Spiritual Care.
- Must work as a member of the Hospice Team and interdisciplinary team;
- Attend on-going education opportunities and volunteer events;
- Follow all visiting protocol - see policies and procedures provided;
- Ask for assistance if help or support or additional information is required;
- Comply with the fragrance-free and smoke-free environment policy.
Reporting / Supervision:
- Provide phone report to the Coordinator of Bereavement and Spiritual Care after the first visit with a client/family;
- Attend monthly two hour group supervision meeting;
- Submit monthly written reports by fax or email to the Coordinator of Bereavement and Spiritual Care recording all contacts and visits with client/family, observations, mileage;
- Be punctual and reliable for all assignments, notifying the Coordinator of Bereavement and Spiritual Care immediately when unable to fulfil assignment due to vacation, illness of other;
- Spiritual Care Volunteers take direction and are accountable to the Coordinator of Bereavement and Spiritual Care.
|Length of Commitment||Long Term (more than 6 months) - A minimum of one-year commitment is required.|
|Minimum Hours||3 / Week|
|Location||Mississauga, Brampton and Malton Areas|
|Link to Map||goo.gl/maps/VkZzJ|
|Transportation||Must have your own transportation.|
|Main Contact||Alexandra McKenna, Coordinator of Recruitment and Training, Heart House Hospice; Phone: 905-712-8119 ext 233; Fax: 905-712-4029; Email: Amckenna@hearthousehospice.com|
|Social Media Links|| Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hearthousehospice|
|Potential Schedule||Monday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening |
Tuesday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Wednesday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Thursday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Friday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Saturday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
Sunday: Morning, Afternoon, Evening
|Number of Volunteers Req'd||Brampton: 2 individual(s) ; Mississauga: 2 individual(s) |
4 individual(s) needed in total.
|Training||Training is required - Hospice Palliative Care 30 hour Course. ; Scheduled training - One full day Spiritual Care Training will be provided. ; Training on-going - Regular contact with the Coordinator of Bereavement and Spiritual Care for supervision, support, evaluation, case concerns, reflection, and mentoring.|
|Clients||Provide spiritual support to clients living with a life threatening or terminal illness and their families.|
|Interaction Level||One-on-one ; Small Group|
|Areas of Interest||Bereavement ; Companion/Friend ; Hospice Care ; Hospital/Institutional Visit ; Patient Support ; Seniors (Work with)|
|Suitable For||Young Adult (19 to 24) ; Adult (24+) ; Family Group ; Corporate Team/Group|
Must have at least one year of Hospice Palliative Care and have completed the 30 hour Hospice Palliative Training
|[ More Agency Info | Other Opportunities | Suggest New Opportunity ]|
|Organization Name||Heart House Hospice|
|Address & Map|
855 Matheson Blvd E, Unit 1
Mississauga, ON L4W 4L6
View Google Map
|Office Phone||905-712-8119 |